Building this websitetags: programming - webdesign
It makes sense that in the first post on my new website I would talk a bit about the technical side of it.
Since static site generators are very well suited for a personal website, I was going to use one. Initially I was tempted by Pelican as it is built in Python and uses reStructuredText, which with I am familiar. However, because of the integration of GitHub pages with Jekyll, I thought I’d give that a try.
After a few hoops:
- configuring ruby on windows - failed
- using ruby with linux subsystem for windows - success!
- figuring out how to configure Jekyll - takes forever for a newbie
- building a personalized theme (I used Cayman for reference)
- pretending that I know what colours work well together
I was left with the current version of the site, of which I am happy enough.